Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Apple of Love

The Cotter family tells a story which has now come to be known as the Apple of Love. The actual story is quite beautiful as it displays the human ability to forgive and extend love to those who we belive have wronged us. The short version as told by me, is that a young daughter married a cowboy and ran off with him. This caused a great deal of harm and I am sure embarrassement to the family. Some time passed- several years I believe, and the father decided that he needed to extend love to his daughter and so he collected the most beautiful apples he could and sent them to her. She accepted this offering and returned to see her family and great was the joy for all involved. The actual story has much more detail, and so at least once a year the Cotters gather together, a tray of sliced apples is passed around and as we eat the apple slice someone re-tells the story. This year Charla told the story and read parts from the original account which added new details to the story for everyone.
Charla telling the story of the Apple of Love and Sara playing the piano for Christmas carols.


Buck singing "Guard Him Joseph" which has sang in a quartet on Christmas Sunday and then sang as a solo for the talent show portion of the evening.



I told the story of the Nativity using a set we had in my house growing up. I had asked Brielle to help me arrange the characters and soon most of the children were gathered around.




Bill and Marianne made this hilarious video of scottish dancing and you can barely make out Bill playing the bagpipe and dancing in his kilt- I think they stole the show that night!




Chad sang one of his original songs inspired by the Christmases of Cotter's Past. He is very creative and quite the entertainer.






Brooke playing a little song on the piano- she even sang with her song, though the tune and lyrics were unfamiliar to the rest of us, I do love her spunk.







Brielle played a few songs on the piano and is quite accomplished.

We had a wonderful evening at Chad and Sara's home and it was nice to celebrate the holiday season together.









1 comment:

  1. That was a fun night :) I think the kids enjoyed yours the best. They LOVE story time :) !!! Thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Followers